This view is of Fourth Street , the western boundary of the 8th Ward, taken from Walnut Street. Fourth Street ran along the backside of the State Capitol grounds.
In the photograph shown at left, the Citizen Fire Company House is the tall building with the bell tower near the center. The company organized in 1836 and was chartered in 1841. It was later re-chartered in 1858 and was the third oldest fire company in the Harrisburg area. Although originally located outside the 8th Ward, the engine house was re-located to Fourth Street.
The Citizen Company purchased its first engine in 1838, which was capable of drawing water directly from the canal and did not rely on bucket brigades. Once hydrants were located within Harrisburg after 1838, the Citizen Company was the first to use hoses and a hose carriage.
(Summarized from an article written by J. Howard Wert for the Harrisburg Patriot newspaper on June 16, 1913, and reprinted in Harrisburg's Old Eighth Ward, edited by Michael Barton and Jessica Dorman, (Charleston: Arcadia, 2002), 136-138.)