Chisuk Emuna was the first Hebrew religious organization in the Old 8th Ward. It originally found its home on Walnut Street, and it later moved to a frame structure on Filbert Street and North Alley. In 1893, the structure was replaced with a more substantial brick one, and further construction was done in 1908. A second Jewish synagogue, Kesher Israel, was located at the corner of Fourth and State.
(Summarized from an article written by J. Howard Wert for the Harrisburg Patriot newspaper on January 6, 1913, and reprinted in Harrisburg's Old Eighth Ward, edited by Michael Barton and Jessica Dorman, (Charleston: Arcadia, 2002), 43-45.)
For more information:
- See Arlene Benson's paper on Kesher Israel for more information on the 8th's Jewish Community.