Franklin Hall, also referred to as the Jennings Building, was located at 421 South Street between the Jennings Foundry and the Wesley Union AME Zion Church. As the predecessor of the Lincoln Public School, Franklin Hall served the educational needs of the black students of the 8th Ward until 1877.
The three-story frame building that housed Franklin Hall also served as a meeting place for the "secret, beneficial, and temperance societies" of the black community in the ward. Church festivals and political meetings were hosted in Franklin Hall, and several religious organizations with no home of their own rented space in Franklin Hall. Described as "extremely crude" and "dilapidated," the school was demolished in 1895.
(Summarized from an article written by J. Howard Wert for the Harrisburg Patriot newspaper on January 27, 1913, and reprinted in Harrisburg's Old Eighth Ward, edited by Michael Barton and Jessica Dorman, (Charleston: Arcadia, 2002), 53-54.)