Harrisburg's Old 8th Ward is a scholarly website designed to showcase an ongoing research project on the development and destruction of a Pennsylvania urban neighborhood that saw its heydey during the second half of the 1800s. The Old 8th Ward is an excellent neighborhood in which to study the major developments of the nineteenth century, such as immigration, industrialization, modernization, and urbanization. Questions pertaining to nineteenth century urban landscapes in the Northeast can be answered through studying the 8th Ward, and over time, this website hopes to bring the Old 8th Ward back to life as we re-populate her streets with our research.
For further reading:
- News--find out what is happening with the Old 8th Ward project
- General History--familiarize yourself with the history of Harrisburg's Old 8th Ward
- Old 8th Ward Project--learn about the origins of this project and website
- Maps--examine bird's eye views of the Old 8th Ward and print a street map
- Exploring the Old 8th Ward Online--get tips for using this site