Institutions of Harrisburg's Old 8th Ward
Because the Old 8th Ward was a fully functioning neighborhood, residents not only lived and worked within its confines but learned and worshiped as well. Just as markets and shops provided goods which sustained their bodies, churches, schools and other organizations provided services which supported residents' souls. Although these institutions changed throughout the Old 8th's lifespan to reflect the diversifying character of the ward itself, the fundamental goals--to educate, protect, and indoctrinate--remained the same.
The list below provides links to information about the various institutions operating within the Old 8th Ward.
- Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church
- Chisuk Emuna
- Christian and Missionary Alliance
- Kesher Israel
- See Arlene Benson's paper on Kesher Israel
- St. Lawrence German Catholic Church
- See Maureen D. Frei's paper on St. Lawrence German Catholic Church
- Wesley Union African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church
- Franklin Hall
- Garfield School
- Lincoln Public School
- St. Lawrence German Catholic Church Parochial School
For further reading: