Arrested Under the X-Rays

This morning a man giving the name of Grant Hess appeared at the City Hospital with a bullet wound in his right hand, declaring that he had been held up in the Eighth ward and had been shot by the would-be robber when he had grasped the pistol leveled at his head. He was given attention and told a fine tale of a hold-up.

This afternoon he reappeared at the hospital to have his hand dressed, the bullet being still in the flesh. By that time County Detective Walters had heard of the alleged hold-up and when he asked about the victim concluded that is was Sam Houck, the notorious up-town resident, who has "served time" for burglary and who is suspected of some recent attempts to rob and some robberies which were highly successful.

The detective and Patrolman Mailey went to the hospital this afternoon and walked into the operating room just as the X-rays were turned to the wounded hand. As soon as Houck saw the officers, he said to the detective, "Hello, Jim. I heard you wanted me, and I guess you've got me now."

Houck's wound was dressed and he was taken to the prison, a charge of highway robbery preferred by a man named Shirk, of Steelton, being preferred against him. It is hoped to connect him with some recent thefts and house-breakings about the city. Houck claims that he was held-up and accounts for his wound in that way.

(January 16, 1902)

Robbed Again

Another "Hold-Up" Perpetrated by Negroes.

Two Offices Were Entered

Police Protection is Only a Term to be Used When Discussing City Matters.

Two robberies and a "hold-up" were added to the already long list this morning and the police department is busy making queries to-day.

The "hold-up" was the most successful since Caller Walzer was robbed on Walnut street. The victim was John Moyer, an employee of the Harrisburg Light, Heat and Power Company, who is also treasurer of Washington Camp No. 8, P. O. S. of A., and the money taken was what he collected at the meeting last evening held in the camp's headquarters, at Third and Cumberland streets. Mr. Moyer, after attending the meeting, went to the Opera House and from there escorted a friend to her home, on Derry street. On his way home, about 1:30 oclock, he recalled that two lights, one on Linden street and the other on State street near Cameron, had been out of order, and he went out of his way to examine them, on his way to his residence, the Washington Hotel, Cowden and Walnut streets. In the vicinity of Balm street and the Jonestown road he noticed two colored men coming toward him and supposed they were on their way home to Springdale. As soon as they reached him the men seized him and asked for his money and watch. Mr. Moyer struggled and called for help. He was overpowered and his hands held behind his back by one man while the other went through his pockets. After they had taken the cash and what papers he had in his coat pocket the pair made off at a run.

Mr. Moyer went to the police station at once and reported the robbery to Lieutenant Forbes, and an alarm was sent all over the city, but no trace of the highwaymen could be found. Mr. Moyer gave a fairly good description of the men who held up Mr. Fred Orth on the Mulberry street bridge Saturday last, and also of the men who tackled Caller George Walzer.

This morning while distributing bread, Harry F. Beck picked up a number of letters and papers at the corner of Fourteenth and Walnut streets. They belonged to Mr. Moyer. Detective Morgan thinks this is a good clue and hopes to be able to run down the robbers.

Sometime after midnight a man passing the grocery store of Calvin Etter, corner of State and Cowden streets, noticed broken glass in one of the side doors. He notified the special officer, who made an investigation and found that the door was open, the lock having been forced off. The door was fastened and word sent for Mr. Etter. It is probable the robbers were frightened away, as the only articles of value missing were several old coins which were in the cash drawer. A number of papers were scattered about the floor. This is the third time in five years robbers have entered this store.

This morning when Mr. Herman C. Harm, the coal dealer on South Cameron street, went to his office he found the door broken. Wide open was the drawer of the desk in which the cash was kept on the floor, the papers were scattered everywhere. When the office was closed last evening $1.25 in change was left there. This was taken as was an overcoat valued at $15.

(Date Unknown)




Home | Site Map |Contact Us | ©2004-2005 All rights reserved. Contact the webmaster at