Sources of Information on Harrisburg's Old 8th Ward
Great care has been taken in crediting sources which helped to build this site, wherever possible. The Old 8th Ward Project encourages the use of information found on this website whenever proper citation is used. The following are examples showing appropriate citations for this website (note that the date should be replaced with the date that the information was taken from the site, and the second and all subsequent lines of each entry should be indented):
- For student research:
Gilbert, Stephanie Patterson. "Bakers and Confectioners in
Harrisburg's Old Eighth Ward, 1890-1917." Harrisburg's Old Eighth
Ward. <http://www.old8thward.com/pdf/PattersonGilbert2004.pdf>. 07 May 2005.
- For any other page:
The following sources have been used in the creation of this site. Please refer to them for additional material on the Old 8th Ward. Photographs used on this site are available as reprints from their home institutions.
- Historical Society of Dauphin County
219 South Front Street
Harrisburg, PA 17104
- Boyd's Directories of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, 1840-1920
- Boyd's Directory Map of Harrisburg City, 1884
- Facts and Figures: A Journal that Stands for Progress, 1907-1912
- Fender Map, 1881
- Photographic Album of the Eighth Ward
- Roe Atlas of the City of Harrisburg, 1889
- Pennsylvania State Archives
350 North Street
Harrisburg, PA 17120
- RG-17, Records of the Department of Land
- MG-85, The MacFarland Collection
- 2004 Capitol Complex Map
- Barton, Michael and Dorman, Jessica, eds. Harrisburg's Old Eighth Ward. Charleston: Arcadia, 2002.
- Series of 35 articles written by J. Howard Wert for the Harrisburg Patriot between November 18, 1912, and July 14, 1913.
- Eggert, Gerald G. Harrisburg Industrializes: The Coming of Factories to an American Community. University Park: Pennsylvania State University Press, 1993.
- Inglewood, Marian. Then and Now in Harrisburg. Harrisburg: 1925.
- Story of Harrisburg: The Capital City. Clarence E. Weaver Publishing, 1912.
- Souvenir Book of Harrisburg. Portland: L. H. Nelson Company, 1904.
- Wilson, William H. The City Beautiful Movement. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1989.
- Statistical Reports on United States Federal Census, as viewed at Census.gov.
- United States Census, 1820-1920, as viewed at Ancestry.com or Geneaology.com.
- American Studies students at Pennsylvania State University--Harrisburg. 2002-present.
- Jackson, Jr., Calobe. Email Correspondence. 22 February 2005.